The Odeon is a small theater that is located behind the Palazzo Corvaja, on the main street of Taormina, the Corso Umberto. The small Roman theater was discovered in 1892 and was probably mainly used for music and literary presentations, which were performed only for the elite of the city. Also there are marble steps preserved from the base of a Greek temple, which was located alongside the Odeon in pre-Christian times. Its discovery was followed by a long period of archaeological excavation, during which several buildings that over time were built over the ruin, needed to be torn down. The monument that can be seen in it’s well preserved remains today, was built in the times of the Roman Emperor Caesar Augustus Octavian, in the second century.
It was built with clay bricks and is divided into three main parts: the stage, orchestra and audience. The audience is divided into five different areas, to accommodate about two hundred people, surmounted by a semicircular gallery.